Alright, now who's THIS guy?

My photo
A Nobody saying hopefully meaningful things.

The World Conquered

Monday, June 13, 2011

The Use of Great Minds

A few considerate and respectful objections have been raised regarding my video “Atheists and Authority”. I have also been asked why I give the Atheist any more publicity than they already enjoy. Well, sound exposition of Scripture will enhance and reinforce our own Christian understanding and will also answer the critic. So from whichever angle, hostile or friendly, the Church has encountered innumerable threats. None have prevailed against One Absolute Standard which exposes us as fallen, sinful, depraved men who continually contrive our idolatries. Yet in God's Infinite Wisdom, these threats promote Ecclesiastical Purity – the purging of the dross that so easily permeates. “This against that”, if you will. I wrote to one critic, “When the atheist does not find absolute unanimity amongst us, they declare the whole in unintelligible shambles.” We, within the church think similarly when we say we should not divide over doctrine. This does not produce that God given Purity; this promotes the chaos we observe today.
I frequently state that I simply make use of the great men and their minds that God has given to the Church over the centuries. Personally, I must do this because I have not been trained in the original languages of Scripture. I have not been to Seminary, nor have I received even one minute of accredited Theological training. Therefore, to rely upon these is for me quite safe, for they have proven themselves capable of handling what would overwhelm and leave me apostate.
So, briefly, here is simply one response from Francis Turretin who answers why human reason alone is insufficient for a “happy life”.
I know it can be difficult to endure the reading of a text, but at least allow this to be a beginning.